Sunday, July 31, 2011

Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson

Two parts of the book I found particularly interesting were the stories of Anne Hutchinson and Roger Williams. I tie the two together in the same post because I feel that they had a relatively similar path. To start, they were both different than the average Puritan in the fact that they didn't conform to a single set of beliefs, but also followed their personal thoughts. Williams would preach his own beliefs and Hutchinson started a woman's group in order to share hers. Because of this, they became outcasts and were banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

After Williams left the colony, he proceeded to help find Rhode Island, and Hutchinson helped find Portsmouth. But, Williams didn't stop at being the founder of a state. He also traveled back to England and acquired a charter that allowed freedom of religion in Rhode Island. Because of this, he can be considered the father of the First Amendment which promoted freedom of speech. I also believe that Anne Hutchinson was a founder of the First Amendment because she also spoke her mind at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers