Thursday, July 28, 2011

John Winthrop and Early American Puritans

Before reading this book, I didn't know anything about Puritans nor had I even heard of them. Now I think I have a basic idea of what a Puritan is and what it means to be one. A Puritan is someone that follows Calvanism because they thought the English church was too impure. This led many Puritans to the New World to get away form England's church. One of the first groups of Puritans to move to America was John Winthrop and his men on the Arbella. But, being a Puritan didn't just mean believing in a certain God and having certain ways of worshiping Him. It also meant hard work and severe punishment for those that broke rules. Because of how hard they worked and how how severely punished small things were, Puritans are known today as uptight, boring people.

1 comment:

  1. What being a Puritan means to me was strict observation of and adherence to a set of beliefs - and I do mean strict! I have always felt the uptight and boring part is a result of pop culture stereotypes and misunderstanding

    ReplyDelete

Followers